Moore's Mind

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Peer Collaboration Infrastructure

I've started to investigate the new PeerCollab* methods included in the Windows Vista version of the Platform SDK. So far the documentation isn't really good. The best, but limited source of information is Tripp Parke's blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/tparks/default.aspx)

The SDK documentation is confusing. The term's Peer, Peer Application, Contact and Local Peer are used interchangable.

I'm working on a Managed C++ wrapper for the API's to simplify using this functionality from managed code. The problem is, I'm not much of a C++ programmer, so it slow going.

The other thing I've noticed is that after calling the PeerCollabSignIn method, a Collaboration Host icon appears in the system tray. A p2phost.exe appears in the task manager. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is yet.

Hopefully more inforamtion will be released at next weeks PDC. I have lots of ideas for some great peer applications if I can just get the darn API's to work.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger MikeMc46 said…

    Hi there Ad.. You know some of these blog sites have more info on them than regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use. Got sidetracked a wee bitl. Had fun though. Thanks Ad., Mike

     

Post a Comment

<< Home